I was chatting with one of my PJ buddies in the US, and she mentioned feeling the burnout from doing tons of pop up events. Seriously, the struggle is real!
I was feeling the same way. I LOVE seeing PJ clients but the constant packing up my studio, hauling it all over and then unpacking, or NOT unpacking and then scrambling last minute when I have clients arriving. I also just got my studio in a place where I love the look and flow of it inside (outside is another story). So I don’t particularly want to mess that up constantly by packing and unpacking.
So I got to thinking that I can’t be the only one with this issue - and I’m obviously not, if someone else is talking to me about it! I wish I could wave a magic wand and say I have a total solution to this, but unfortunately I don’t. What I can do, though, is give some helpful tips that I have learned over the past year to make things a bit easier if you’re working from multi-locations. Read on …
- Have a second set of tools just for travel so you’re not packing and unpacking all the time.
- Keep business cards and other paperwork/signage together so they don’t get damaged and are easy to unpack
- Store everything in heavy duty airtight plastic bins that stack easily for travel
- Invest in a trolley or wagon to pull everything - from a chronic back pain sufferer - save your back and body and transport wisely!
- Lots of extension cords
- If you are able to, have a second chain display so that you can leave everything packed up and ready for the next event.
- Invest in a padded & lockable carrier for your welder. Last thing you want is for your welder to not work during your event!
- Make a decision. If you hate doing events, don’t do them. And don’t feel guilty about it! Connect with a local shop to set up there permanently, or open your own space in your home, on your property, or at your own storefront.